Thursday, April 3, 2008

Update - What I'm missing

Can't believe I've made 35 posts since the resolution to get this Pierce family documented. Sometimes it feels like overload and I have to read or cook or do something else.

Anyway......... this is an update of what I did, a list of what I'm missing for each potential biographical candidate and what the plan is for the project.

What I did:
1) Printed out a genealogy report from Family Tree Maker with Edward as the oldest generation and his descendants following all the way down to my mother.

2)Looked through my electronic files on this laptop to see what info I actually have that I never entered in FTM.

3) Entered said missing info in FTM.

4) Made a list of what I am missing for each person and what theories I'd like to check on.

5) Subscribed to www.genealogybank.com for the monthly trial for only $10. Found LOTS of articles that have been useful; neglected work (I mean work that I'm paid to do!); got burnt out searching and printing news clips.

What I am Missing:

Laura Pierce Slawter (1862 - after 1900)
I have information about the 1900 census she is on in NJ but do not have a copy.
Obituary: She was alive in 1900 but dead by 1910 - so I wish I had her obit. Need to check NJ and PA newspapers.
Cemetery info: I do not have cemetery information for Laura or husband George.

James Pierce (1864 - 1900)
1900 census- that is all I am missing. Since he died in June and I don't know when they did the census that year, he may still be listed with wife Maggie. This will be the big bio - I have sooooo much on the murder trial, census from years when he was with his parents, marriage info...but not the 1900 census.

Amos Pierce (1867 - 1940)
Census: Missing 1910, 1920 and 1930. I have the census where his wife and children are enumerated but he was off the grid.
Obituary - I could check the Delaware Co. Historical Society.

Annie Pierce (1868 - ?)
Obituary: She died after the 1900 census and before the 1910.
Cemetery info: Why can't I find her with the Pierces in the many grave plots they have? Was her name Hannah? There are three Annas and three Hannahs in Chester Rural but none seem to match up. Permit numbers are off and the date of burial would be way off.

George T Pierce ( 1871 - 1946)
Missing the 1930 census. Really I did think I had that, but can't find it.

Mary E Pierce ( 1874 - 1960s)
Census for 1930. Yes, I have a copy but it's a bad copy and I can't read it. Just looks like Franklin as head of the household.
Obituary
Cemetery Info

Frank Pierce ( 1879 - between 1939 and 1943)
Obituary - The permit numbers at Chester Rural indicate he died between 1939 and 1943. I'll see if I can get someone to go look at the grave stone.

Edward Pierce (abt. 1805 - ?)
This is the brick wall. I don't know when he died or where he is buried.

The Plan!

As I shape the info up I have been putting it into a Word document. The entries are in birth order. I have editing to do, taking William Peirce out and placing him under the section titled UNKNOWN CONNECTIONS. There are many obits and mortuary notices that mention Pierces and Peirces that will be placed in that file.

Edward Pierce's bio is done but now I have to take a bit out because I can't prove he was moved to Mt. Hope in Aston. I am adding Laura and all the rest with what I have so far. If I can get the missing info, I will happily add it in.

Murder Trial - It is too much to transcribe but I want a synopsis of some of the procedures, accusations and results. Also, I will add the copies of the newspaper prints to a section about this trial, all on it's own. It's too much good info to leave out. It would be great to have as many cousins as we can get to read over the information and form a conclusion. That might make a nice addendum about what the descendants think. I have some theories I'll share this weekend.

No comments: