Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

It's been a hectic week of problems at work, problems with our wireless router at home (can't get online), with my weariness at looking at this dead guy's worldly goods being sold out from under his young widow. They were only married about 5 years!

But today I created an Excel sheet that shows the names of the purchasers for William's estate/admin and what they bought. My cousin Char provided me with the alphabetical list of the purchasers. That old writing from 1838 is a devil to read sometimes. Thanks Char! As soon as I get that chart scanned I'll post it tomorrow. Some of the things I found interesting were:

1. In newspaper accounts and parts of the legal documents (the administration) William's surname is spelled PEIRCE.

2. In other parts of the admin. Rebecca spells her name PIERCE.
3. Edward Pierce spells it both ways.

4. Edward purchased quite a bit of William's fishing gear including his batteau, fishing boots, oars, nets etc. He even bought his wearing apparel.

5. Right..so it's not proof Edward is William's brother but to have purchased his clothes and boots he must be the same build. I still think they were brothers but I am still looking for concrete evidence/documentation.

6. The McLaughlin (or McGlaughlin) name is also among the purchasers. That's the name of the man who murdered William. I found that surname living right next door to one of my Pierce familes in Chester in a much later census.

It's just food for thought. And speaking of food - I made pure comfort food tonight. I used convenience items to toss it together but it tasted fine. Normally I make all my own pasta/lasagna sauce. I make homemade soup from all fresh ingredients...but tonight I'm weary. This is good on a cold night and right now it's 36 degrees.

Cheesy Chicken Casserole
1 box Stovetop stuffing (any flavor)
5 or 6 boneless chicken breasts
1 can cream of chicken or celery soup
1/8 cup sherry or white wine
slices of Swiss or cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan. Prepare stuffing mix. Place chicken breasts in pan. I cut them in half but you don't have to. Mix soup and sherry in bowl, pour over chicken and in between chicken pieces. Place cheese slices over chicken. Place stuffing mix over chicken and put remaining stuffing in between chicken and to the edges of pan.
Bake uncovered 45 minutes. If after 30 minutes it looks to brown cover with foil.

This goes well with salad and Negra Moldela beer. We had Old Speckled Hen ale tonight though.

In a few minutes I'll go watch the new episode of Lost and eventually eat a bowl of ice cream. William Pierce will have to wait until tomorrow. Once I'm done with all I have on him I'll work on Edward's children. Also, I have a file I started looking over titled Unknown Connections. As I sort through, I see many Pierce, Peirce and Pearse names that don't, as yet, connect to my folks. But one day they might.

Good night.

No comments: